The Barber Paper Mill (1854)River Road
Established in 1854 on the banks of the Credit River in Georgetown, the Barber Mill is a rare example of a pre-Confederation industrial complex. Operated by the Barber family—leading industrialists in Canada West—it became the largest industry in the County of Halton, employing hundreds of workers from the surrounding communities.
About 3 km downstream are the stone ruins of the Barber Dynamo, a remarkable innovation dating to 1888 and reported to have been the first long-distance transmission of hydro-electric power to supply an industrial plant in North America.
In 2008, the 13-acre complex was designated under the Ontario Heritage Act.
|Details:||This complex of brick and limestone buildings is a victim of demolition by neglect, which is being presently inspected by a Built Heritage Specialist hired under the Town of Halton Hills newly created 2016 by-law that places stringent property standards for buildings Designated under Part IV of the OHA.|
|Support ACO-Halton Hills' attempts to bring the Town of Halton Hills and the developer/owner, Victor Boutin,together to discuss future uses for the property. Contact Halton Hills Mayor, Rick Bonnette: firstname.lastname@example.org|